Oil Pulling - 10 Health Benefits
Coconut oil is an amazing way to naturally remove bacteria and encourage healthy teeth and gums. It is also one of the best ways to naturally whiten your teeth!
When I was in high school I was always using different whitening toothpastes and strips on my teeth. Now my teeth are incredibly sensitive to any of those products because I used them so frequently. Wish I would have known about coconut oil pulling then! I have also been known to have sensitive gums when at the dentist and after oil pulling for sometime my dentist was able to tell me that they saw improvements in my gum health. Check out this list below for 10 amazing health benefits it can offer!
- Kill bad breath
- Treat tooth decay
- Heal bleeding gums
- Whiten teeth
- Prevent cavities
- Reduce inflammation
- Soothe throat dryness
- Heal cracked lips
- Boost the immune system
- Strengthen gums and jaws
Oil pulling works by cleaning the oral cavity, it actually removes the toxins out of your mouth and creates a clean environment that is needed to prevent cavities and disease. Oil pulling has been around for a long time, but it has more recently gained popularity in the United States.
While other oils can be used, I would recommend coconut oil for all the additional health benefits that it has to offer, such as: kill candida, improve digestion, moisturize skin, balance hormones, and more. Many of these benefit can be experienced just from oil pulling because it is highly absorbable. Now lets talk about how you do it!
- Make sure to use an unrefined coconut oil (free from any harmful additives)
- When you wake in the morning gently swish 1-2 tablespoons of oil in your mouth. I like to keep a jar with a spoon by my bathroom sink.
- Swish the oil for 10-20 minutes, make sure you are doing gentle movements so you don't wear out your jaw. I have started out a little too strong, and my mouth was sore after only a few minutes.
- When you are done, spit out the oil into the trash can. You do not want to spit it down your sink, it can cause a clogged drain.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and brush your teeth as your normally would.
That's it, so easy! You can also add a couple drops of essential oil each time to increase the benefits even more. Some great options would be: lemon, peppermint, or thieves. If you are interested in getting started with essential oils you can reach out to me on my contact page and I would love to assist you!
It is recommended to oil pull 3-4 times each week. I like to do my oil pulling while I am busy with something else, it helps those 10-20 minutes pass quicker and I honestly do not usually have an extra 20 minutes to just sit and oil pull! :) You can do it while you are in the shower, fixing your hair, or work it into another part of your morning routine. I encourage you to give it a try!